Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Crazy Heart

To say that I am not a huge fan of country music would be an understatement. However, I really enjoyed the music featured in Crazy Heart, especially "The Weary Kind", the title track. Unlike most country music that I hear today, this soundtrack features real country songs. Even though I am not a familiar with country music, I like to think that I can differentiate between authentic and not, and these songs are authentic. Surprisingly, Colin Farrell and Jeff Bridges are pretty good singers. I read in an article that Jeff Bridges spent months with a voice coach and it definitely shows in the movie, he's the best that I have seen him. At first, I was not excited about seeing Crazy Heart because I had seen the same redemption formula in The Wrestler; however, Jeff Bridge's portrayal of an alcoholic and charismatic country singer will win you over. Also, I was upset to read that the Oscar's will not have Best Original Song nominees perform this year. I was looking forward to Ryan Bingham performing "The Weary Kind", but hopefully he will win.
Other tracks to check out on the soundtrack:
"Brand New Angel" Jeff Bridges
"Reflecting Light" Sam Philips
"I Let the Frieght Train Carry Me On" The Delmore Brothers

4 comments:

  1. I have wanted to see this film for a while now. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Just out of curiosity, where did you see it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it at the Mall of Georgia in Buford, it's about 45 minutes away from Athens. Definitely worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, wonder why this film has not yet hit Athens. Want to see.

    A couple of things, if the song were "the title track" it would be called "Crazy Heart." And there is a major comma splice in your post. See if you can find it.

    Aside from Bridges and the music, why should I see this movie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would this be correct instead?

    I read in an article that Jeff Bridges spent months with a voice coach and it definitely shows in the movie. He's the best that I have seen him.

    To be honest, Jeff Bridges is the main reason to see this movie. I don't know if this makes sense, but it is more of about the performances in the movie. However, I think the writing is great too.

    ReplyDelete