Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Andy Rooney

As I was watching Andy Rooney's latest topic of discussion on 60 minutes, I realized that Andy Rooney has the greatest job. For about 3 minutes every Sunday, CBS allows Andy an outlet to express his complaints. This past Sunday he had a grievance against people who want time to fly. Unlike most, Rooney prefers the days that drag on. He did make a solid point against the people who think too far in advance that they miss the present. Another memorable Andy Rooney moment happened when he was complaining about the sales people that repeatedly bother you in the stores. When I was little I thought that Andy Rooney was nothing more than a grumpy, old man. Now that I am a little older and a lot more cynical, I realize that Andy says some very true things. Sometimes he sounds a bit dated, but for the most part, what he says is the truth. His segments serve as a modern day column. However, I don't necessarily view Andy Rooney as a journalist. I know that he used to be one in WWII, but now it seems that he's settled into his position as a commentator/satirist.

1 comment:

  1. You're right. Easiest job in the world. But am I wrong or are his topics getting more and more minute? Instead of talking about insects, he'll spend the entire segment talking about one pesky ant. Makes it easier, I guess, because he can an infinite number of commentaries out of a single ant colony.

    ReplyDelete